World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Consultant, Family Planning Accelerator Project – NOC
Job ID: 2001023
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract duration: 6 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
- From 2015-2018 WHO implemented the phase 1 of the Family Planning Umbrella project. Fifty (50) countries were supported to ensure that rigorous standards of evidence in policy making and program guidance are maintained, and that FP remains high on their agenda. During the last 3 years important gains have been made, WHO country and Regional office staff have increased understanding and awareness of evidence based recommendations and are more engaged in supporting development and use of national guidelines and policy dialogue with ministries of health, academia/ professional associations and local civil societies.
- A phase 2 of the Family Planning Umbrella project (FP Accelerator Project) is initiated to keep this momentum going and support partners and ministries of health in accelerating access to family planning within the broader SDG and UHC framework and the WHOs 13th Global Programme of Work (GPW 13). This investment will support 14 countries including Nigeria from 2019 to 2022 to move significantly towards achieving their targets for FP2020 goals and SDG 3.1, 3.7 and 5.6.
- It will also maintain the ongoing support for key activities initiated in phase 1 and continue the approaches that have effectively galvanized ministries of health and WHO country offices to support family planning. In this context, WHO seeks to engage the services of an expert to support implementation of key activities on Family Planning Accelerator project in Nigeria.
Description of Duties
- The signatory will be assigned to the WHO Country Office in Nigeria and will work under the guidance of the WHO Representative in Nigeria, working directly with the National Professional Officer (NPO) in charge of the Maternal, Sexual and Reproductive health.
- The position holder will provide monthly report on implementation status, challenges to the project manager at WHO HQ:
She / he will have to perform the following tasks:
- Support the development of country FP implementation, monitoring and evaluation plans
- Ensure that in country activities are aligned and complimentary to partners working in SRH/FP in the country
- Support accelerated uptake and implementation of WHO FP evidence-based guidelines
- Support country to advance adolescent’s access to SRHR
- Support country to advance uptake of postpartum and post-abortion FP, expansion of method mix by introducing new methods /delivery channels for contraception and improvements in quality of care
- Scale up of implementation of Task shifting/sharing for family planning including support development, monitoring and review of a national monitoring framework for Task shifting/sharing policy.
- Support adaptation of new and emerging evidence to improve quality of national FP programs and to monitor progress toward achieving those outcomes.
- Support development of training materials and plans, counselling and communication materials based on WHO guidelines
- Provide monthly report to project manager at HQ, RO and WR.
- Support documentation / publication on country experiences
- Perform all other activities assigned by Country Representative and / or FRH Cluster lead
Required Qualifications / Experience
- Essential: MBBS
- Desirable: Advanced University Degree in Gynaecology and Obstetrics and / or Public Health.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience in the development, implementation and monitoring evaluation of sexual and reproductive health programs with a focus on family planning.
- Technical skills demonstrated in the development and monitoring of SRHR/FP national programs and plans.
- Demonstrable technical skills in advocacy and supporting the adoption and adaptation of FP WHO guidelines,
- Development and implementation of RH / FP training programs based on WHO guidelines, in the preparation and facilitation of technical meetings and workshops, in the collection and analysis of FP data, and the development and presentation of implementation reports
- Experience working in WHO / UN is be an asset
Use of language skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Strong knowledge and skills in the development and management of Reproductive Health / Family Planning programs.
- Knowledge of WHO FP guides and tools is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience in sexual health and reproductive rights of adolescents and youth would be an asset.
- Expert knowledge of using standard MS Office software packages and the Internet with ease for evidence synthesis and data analysis
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Building and promoting partnership across the Organization and beyond.
Application Closing Date
13th March, 2020; 11:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online